Dwarf, (1st-Level Warrior)Edit
Speed: 20 ft. in scale mail (4 squares); base speed 20 ft.
Armor Class: 16 (+4 scale mail, +2 heavy shield), touch 10, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+2
Attack: Dwarven waraxe +3 melee (1d10+1/x3) or shortbow +1 ranged (1d6/x3)
Full Attack: Dwarven waraxe +3 melee (1d10+1/x3) or shortbow +1 ranged (1d6/x3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Dwarf traits
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., dwarf traits
Saves: Fort +4*, Ref +0*, Will -1*
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 6
Environment: Temperate mountains:
Organization: Team (2-4), squad (11-20 plus 2 3rd-level sergeants and 1 leader of 3rd-6th level), or clan (30-100 plus 30% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 10 adults, 5 5th-level lieutenants, and 3 7th-level captains)
Treasure: Standard coins; double goods; standard items
Alignment: Often lawful good
Dwarves favor earth tones in their clothing and prefer simple and functional garb. The skin can be very dark, but it is always some shade of tan or brown. Hair color can be black, gray, or brown. Dwarves average 4 feet tall and weigh as much as adult humans.
Dwarves speak Dwarven. Most who travel outside dwarven lands (as traders, mercenaries, or adventurers) know the Common tongue, while warriors in the dwarven cities usually learn Goblin to better interrogate and spy on those evil denizens of the deep caves.
Most dwarves encountered outside their home are warriors.
Dwarves are experts in combat, effectively using their environment and executing well-planned group attacks. They rarely use magic in fights, since they have few wizards or sorcerers (but dwarven clerics throw themselves into battle as heartily as their fellow warriors). If they have time to prepare, they may build deadfalls or other traps involving stone. In addition to the dwarven waraxe and thrown hammer, dwarves also use warhammers, picks, shortbows, heavy crossbows, and maces.
Dwarf Traits (Ex)Edit
Dwarves possess the following racial traits.
- +2 Constitution, –2 Charisma.
- Medium size.
- A dwarf ’s base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.
- Darkvision out to to 60 feet.
- Stonecunning: This ability grants a dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up. Dwarves have a sixth sense about stonework, an innate ability that they get plenty of opportunity to practice and hone in their underground homes.
- Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves treat dwarven waraxes and dwarven urgroshes as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.
- Stability: Dwarves are exceptionally stable on their feet. A dwarf has a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison. *Not reflected in the saving throw numbers given here.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects. *Not reflected in the saving throw numbers given here.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against orcs (including halforcs) and goblinoids (including goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears).
- +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against creatures of the giant type (such as ogres, trolls, and hill giants).
- +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal items.
- +2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Terran, Undercommon.
- Favored Class: Fighter.
The dwarf warrior presented here had the following ability scores before racial adjustments: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8.